Thursday, July 22, 2010

BART Adventures, Part 2

This morning, I got on the BART and I put in my brand new Skull Candy ear buds and turned my iPhone on shuffle, like I do every day when I go to work.

After almost-dozing off to some Wall-E music, then suddenly rockin' out to American Idiot, the song "Say Hey (I Love You)" by Michael Franti (another amazing Michael) & Spearhead came on. Now this song... this song has been favorited by so many Deutsch Floor 1-ians, most especially by me and Ms. Perlman (yeah, you just got mentioned in another blog). I dunno what it is, but it's the song that I could listen to over and over again while driving in a car on my way to heaven or something.

Anywho... so as I was listening to this song (probably one of the most engaging, happiest, and best picker upper in the world), I found myself nodding my head like yeah and moving my hips like yeah to its upbeat music and lyrics.

I look to my right and an old woman in a tweed jacket and perfectly quaffed hair was swaying her hands from side to side as she hummed a tune to another old woman across from her. After watching her for a few seconds, our eyes met and she smiled at me. Across from me was a young man in a leather jacket, shades and earbuds, bobbing his head at the same beat as the song playing in my iPhone. To my left was a slightly chubbier woman in a tracksuit, wearing yellow headphones, who held on to the vertical pole by the doors. She had her eyes closed was shaking her booty just ever so slightly to the music playing in her ears. And directly next to her was a tall, skinny guy with long hair playing air drums.

I'd like to think we all had the same song in our heads; that Michael Franti was bringing joy not only to my ears but to everyone else in that train. In fact, I think I'll contact BART and tell them to install a speaker system that would play fun music. That'll brighten up everyone's day.

That was a fine moment though... I feel like the five of us connected in such an inexplicable way. I hope it happens again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment