Saturday, July 17, 2010

BART Adventures, Part 1

For the past month, the BART ride has been one of my most looked-forward-to form of entertainment. Even before I started working, I've been having the most interesting experiences during my commute.

For instance, two days ago, when I got to the MacArthur BART station from Berkeley (SF bound train), I went to the elevator where it would take me to the other set of platforms so I could get onto the Pittsburg/Bay point train and get to Concord. I was in the elevator with a woman and her baby in a stroller.

As the door was closing, this guy on a bike comes and crashes his front wheel to the back of my wheelchair so that the door wouldn't close on him. Though he seemed to be perfectly capable of taking his giant bike up the escalator, with his muscular arms and protruding chest muscles, he proceeded to force himself and his vehicle into the elevator. Since his bike was huge, it took us at least 3 minutes to figure out how he could fit in, the time he could've easily spent leisurely walking towards the escalator and up it without a problem.

Finally, he gets in, with his front wheel lifted from the ground and about 6 inches from my face. I run to the second elevator up the platform. As it was coming up to the platform, I could see through the glass elevator doors the train I was trying to catch and how its doors were closing and how it was speeding away.

I had to wait 12 minutes for the next train, which by the way was packed like a sardines can. I was/still am pissed at that guy.

On the bright side, Jim Coyle, one of the bigtime contractors from Pankow was on the train and as he was getting off at Rockridge, he saw me, remembered my name, and said hello.

No comments:

Post a Comment